The church, built in the Norman period and rebuilt in the 15th century, may be on the site of a Saxon church, which was built in turn on the site of a Celtic oratory.
The 12th century Norman church was probably cruciform with a narrow aisle on each side of the nave. The original walls of the chancel and north wall remain from that period and also the westernmost part of the south wall. The three westernmost pillars on the north side of the nave, built of Caen stone from Normandy, are massive and have typically square bases and radiating fluted capitals. The font is also of Norman date and is of peculiar form. A short cylindrical stem rises out of a base which resembles the cushion-type capital of a Norman pier, and supports the bowl which has a square plinth diminished to a circular form at the top. Originally the font was supported by four pillars, indications of which can be seen underneath the four corners of the bowl. At the back of the church is a list of the names of the incumbents of the parish from 1189.